O, my dear meter
Who made you climb so high? Why?
Please, don't soar again
Yes, I know I'm very gifted in poetry :) As you can imagine this haiku was inspired by actual events here in Thailand. This last week I heard a motorcycle beep in front of my house and was handed my electricity bill for the month. Normally, it is around 500 Baht ($15), but this month it jumped to 5800 Baht ($175). I was very confused because I haven't done anything differently. Over the next two days, my language teacher agreed to come with me to the electric company, back to my house to test the meter, back to the electric company, back to my house etc. I put in about 5 hours of talking, testing, listening, and running around trying to figure out why my power is 11 times higher than normal. Electricity is an interesting thing here. Many people tap into lines and steal electricity. Or there are always power outages when it rains or repairs are being done. So, I have a feeling that I will have to end up paying that bill because I can't prove how the electricy leaked or who stole it. When I think about it, it does make me frustrated. But I have to remember that as I follow Jesus, I lay down my "rights" and I do not own my money, I am only a steward of it. It is God's money. And I am thankful when my electricity IS working because when my electricity goes out it means I also don't have any water. So I usually get in my car and find an air conditioned place to go to, because sitting in a 96 degree house without a fan is not fun : ) The End!