



This past Thursday (Sept 25th) was my last day at Nong Khai Nok School. The teachers and students planned quite a celebration...I felt very overwhelmed! The day began with a special ceremony and all the students lining up to bless me and present me with gifts, roses, and/or cards that they had made. I was so humbled by all their expressions of appreciation and love! The Jr. high girls prepared a traditional Thai dance to perform. After the ceremony were lots of pictures and a meal and presentations of gifts from my co-workers. During the meal there was a karaoke machine that was getting a lot of use with the teachers dedicating songs to me (yes, it even included Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On". Then of course they wanted me to join in by singing, so they chose the English song "Take Me Home, Country Roads". I really didn't know any of the words other than the chorus. It is a moment that I am very glad not to have on camera! Before I left, the students must have suddenly realized that I was not going to be teaching then anymore and I instantly somehow gained celebrity status. There were students running up with books, paper, and toilet paper wanting my autograph. There were cell phone cameras by the dozen being held up. I just had to laugh...do they know I am just an average person from Wisconsin, USA??