Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kim, the Human Hmong Barbie Doll







NV is a girl I met at our English Camp. She is Hmong and lives in town with the 10 other people in her family. She'll be enrolling as a student at our school, so I'll have more opportunities to get to know her better. The other day I was biking in her part of town and thought I'd simply stop by to say "hi" and see exactly where she lives. Her job is sewing intricate patterns that are used to make traditional Hmong clothing. She suddenly had the great idea of dressing me up in Hmong clothes. Then she wanted to take photos of me. She had very specific ideas for the photos and kept posing and moving me this way and that! This activity began with just the two of us, but by the end of the "photo shoot" there were a couple dozen people around wanting to look at the tall dressed-up foreigner!